Thursday, May 7, 2009

Long Bonds















The Drinking Buddies
Oil on Paper

“ I know 
there’s something terribly wrong with her. I can feel it. But should I call?!” my friend confided over drinks one evening. The story goes, he’d been dating the woman of his dreams for seven long years and then somehow things didn’t work out. It was a long distance relationship across continents. But probably or precisely because of that, he’d developed this keen instinctive sense of knowing when she needed him the most - irrespective of the expanse of land and water and time zones separating the two. Was it ESP, were they somehow connected, how did he always know? A few days later, as it turned out, he was correct. She’d been ill for a week and had to be hospitalized. He had decided against calling her but it just so happened that her sister called him and shared the news... and now she’s well, of course.

Their friends used to ca
ll them the drinking buddies ( quite self-explanatory, I presume) and this painting is inspired by the special connection these two shared and still seem to do till date.

The conversation did upset me. It’s painful to see people in pain. So as I sat around playing with paints t
hat night, I came up with a theory, if nothing else, at least it would help me sleep in peace. The theory goes - that once you love someone ( irrespective of the relationship and outcome), there’s a part of you that forever protects them...thus the womb in the center. The concentric reds, yellows and oranges are the levels of love, trust and protection you share... Running into the greens and blues which are the individual lives we continue to live. 

They were technically wine drinking buddies but at 2.00 am, I figured a beer bottle was just semantics. 



No comments: