Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Red Oaks & Forest Fire


The Red Oaks Forest Fire
25" x 25" x 1.5"  25" x 25" x1.5"
Acrylic on Canvas Acrylic on Canvas

Does anyone really know why we feel this urge to paint or create? I'm not sure I understand the why but I do know that when the urge kicks in, I must give in to it. As I squeeze the paint from the tube directly on to a virgin canvas, time seems to stop still. I am dimly aware of humming along to a tune playing in my head or flowing with the colors as they spread their magic on the off-white surface of the canvas.... And in about a few hours, the painting’s done.

I walk away without a backward glance only to return later to the labor of my love. Much later still, I can sit back and look at the painting for hours, trying to fathom what just happened. Where did this urge come from? What was I thinking/ feeling at that moment? How do I name this painting? 
I examine the brush strokes and remember some bits and parts of struggle to create a certain effect or mix colors in a certain way – driven by rational thought mixed with perhaps instinct.

I named my first real painting – The Red Oaks. I’ve never seen a Red Oak tree in my life, doubt if they grow in India! Anyhow, the need to express continued and by the end of another few hours, using the same palette and similar style emerged the second painting of this series – Forest Fire.

The Red Oaks, today resides on the wall of a friend’s bedroom while Forest Fire leans against a wall in my now spare bedroom-turned-studio. But he is not alone, racked alongside are Tranquility, Reflection, Moonshine and Northern Lights. 







No comments: